Friday, February 27, 2009

hoskins replica

2 oz Beefeater Gin
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Mirto
1/4 oz Maraschino Liquour
1/4 oz Clement Creole Shrub

Stir with ice and strain into a chilled coupe. Flame a lemon peel and drop in the drink. The volumes for the Mirto and Creole Shrub might be reversed.

After my job fair on Thursday, I decided to treat myself to a trip to Eastern Standard to unwind with a cocktail. While looking over the menu, bartendresse Nicole Lebedevitch told me that she and the other bartenders had worked out a possible Hoskins replica, a drink created by Chuck Taggart that can no longer be made at Eastern Standard after their Amer Picon ran out and since neither that nor Torani Amer can be imported into Massachusetts. The drink itself was full of orangy and fruity bitter goodness. While it was not the same as a Hoskins (or my memory of the last one I had quite a while ago), it was a decent substitute and a delight to drink. Maybe other Hoskins fans can go to the bar to request it and report back with their opinions.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I just got a bottle of Mirto and looking for cocktail applications found this post. I'll try the recipe--looks interesting--but I'm more interested in why neither of the Amers "can be imported" into MA. Do you mean they're not being distributed there, or that there is actually some legislation barring them from entering the state?

frederic said...

While Massachusetts does have some Byzantine liquor laws and distribution issues, it's more of a problem that Amer Picon isn't exported from France and is difficult to find any where in the U.S. People can find it in Europe but they have to bring it back a bottle or two at a time.