Tuesday, February 3, 2009

rye tennessee

2 oz. Old Overholt Rye
1/2 oz. maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz. lemon juice

Shake on ice and strain into an old fashioned glass (the one they gave me was a beautiful etched, rounded one).

After a nice meal at Dali on PuppyBowl Sunday, Fred and I headed over to Drink. A familiar-looking gentleman came over and asked me what I wanted, and I stated that I wanted a rye-based drink. "A Fort Point?" "I've had it." "How about a Seelbach?" "I've had that, too." "Oh, he said, you're some serious cocktailians. I have to go get the expert." In retrospect, I guess I must have sounded like a total snot. Oh well. I felt guilty when the gentleman re-appeared with a somewhat annoyed-looking Misty, who had been enjoying a steak taco from Olecita in the back office. I apologised for pulling her away from dinner (which hopefully she had managed to finish), and she got her revenge on me by making me hungry again with her description of the tacos. Maybe it was the glucose finally hitting hitting her system after a couple of minutes, but she perked up and immediately thought of something to address my rye fixation - a Tennessee. Though the traditional Tennessee is made with a corn whiskey (I hesitate to say bourbon), Misty prefers the way rye dries out the maraschino. I was in the mood for something uncomplicated and direct, and this cocktail certainly delivered. Even more glucose must have hit her system while she was preparing my drink, because the cocktails she came up with for me and Fred afterwards were truly inspired.

No comments: