Thursday, April 9, 2009

kentucky monk

3 oz. bourbon (Buffalo Trace)
1 oz. benedictine
1/2 oz. cherry heering
1 dash angostura bitters

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass.

This was my third drink at No. 9. For my second, I shared a half-portion of the Bold Proposition with Fred, and asked Matt for a good cocktail to bridge between it and the dessert-like Mémé. He thought the Benedictine would be fragrant enough to reset my nose after the scotch-forward BP, with the fruity sweetness of the cherry heering echoing the floral honey in my first cocktail. The hefty slug of bourbon definitely steered this into serious territory. The Benedictine was indeed a nice palate cleanser, and I was surprised that I couldn't taste any of the cherry, except to note that the sweetness took some of the burn off the bourbon.

No comments: