Tuesday, May 5, 2009

kamehameha rum punch

1 oz Light Rum (Lemon Hart 80 Proof)
2 oz Unsweetened Pineapple Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 tsp Blackberry Brandy (Creme de Cassis)
1 tsp Grenadine
1 tsp Sugar Syrup
1 oz Dark Rum (Goslings Black Seal)

Shake everything but the dark rum with ice and strain into a tall or rocks glass filled with crushed ice. Float dark rum on top, and garnish with a pineapple chunk speared to a cherry.

After the Queen's Road, the other drink that stood out in Sippin' Safari on Saturday night was the Kamehameha Rum Punch. The book credits the Hotel King Kamehameha in Kona, Hawaii, as the origin of the drink around 1960. For ingredients, I wanted to use our new bottle of Lemon Hart Demerara Rum instead of some of the lighter rums in our collection. We did not have any blackberry brandy so I went with some Creme de Cassis instead. Also, I used Andrea's ginger simple syrup instead of preparing some regular simple syrup for this drink. One neat thing about the preparation of this drink was in floating the dark rum on top -- it actually floated over the ice as well. Overall, a rather pleasant sipper that we enjoyed on our deck. The dark rum added a bit of character but unfortunately disappeared early in the drink the way we drank it; the photo in the book shows the drink served with a straw which would have changed the effect of the dark rum from our experience. The scary green cocktail cherries were a gift we received at one of our parties and seemed like a festive garnish at the time. Actually, they did not taste half bad but when I sliced them, they eerily bled green blood on my cutting board. Strange foodstuff there.

3 comments:

DJ HawaiianShirt said...

That cherry is terrifying...

frederic said...

It is indeed! I only had Luxardo marasca cherries and those. While the marasca are tasty, it would have been lost at the bottom and missed in the photo.

I think my friend brought them as a gift to one of our parties because he knew it would appall me (I was rather anti-garnish at the time, save for the purpose of citrus oils so I think that was the real reason he tormented me with these). They were only used in one drink prior -- one of the cocktails in the LUPEC (national) website, the Creole Lady Cocktail, stated that it needed both a red and a green cherry.

LUPEC.org's recipe page.

Unknown said...

Au contraire- i want to bring those cherries to a dance party where there will be blacklight, and people who will fascinated by them :) I wonder if they glow?
The rum punch sounds yummy too!