Thursday, May 14, 2009

martin voiron

1 oz Miller's Gin
1 1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1 1/4 oz St. Germain Elderflower Liqueur
1 oz Lemon Juice
1 dash Fee Brothers Grapefruit Bitters

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

On Tuesday, Andrea was in Boston getting her hair cut and afterwards I met up with her for dinner in Chinatown. Post-dinner, we stopped by No. 9 Park to pay bartender Matthew Schrage a visit. The drink I ordered off of the menu, the Martin Voiron, was created by Rick Messier, another bartender at No. 9. The base spirit for the drink is Martin Miller's Gin which is heavy on the licorice notes but lighter on the juniper berry. Despite gin being the base, the two liqueurs, St. Germain and yellow Chartreuse, each contributed heftily to the recipe.

The cocktail itself had a rather pretty translucent yellow color from the liqueurs and lemon juice. The juice gave the drink a good amount of tartness and balanced the sugar in the liqueurs quite nicely. The combination of St. Germain, yellow Chartreuse, and lemon juice has proven in the past to be a successful trio such as in the Yellow Jacket, and in the Martin Voiron it was no exception. Matt commented that the drink was "Last Word-y", and Andrea thought it was a rather "sophisticated lemon drop".

I did some sleuthing about the drink name and could not find any one famous by that name. However, it dawned on me that the first name referred to the gin and the last name is the location in France where Chartreuse is produced.

3 comments:

dfan said...

I was just looking for something to make for Liza and myself tonight! (Though I did not have exactly the right gin.)

After tasting, I agree with Andrea's "sophisticated lemon drop" description. It's a little candy-ish, but nice for having after dinner, as we are now.

DougP said...

Yes, I find the original proportions too sweet for my palate, but it's clearly a worthy combination. I greatly enjoyed this formulation:

1.5 oz Martin Miller gin
0.5 oz St. Germain
0.5 oz Yellow Chartreuse
.75 oz lemon juice
and the dash of Grapefruit Bitters hits the spot!

Anonymous said...

Had this drink when it was still in development, and I agree with Doug P that the drink I had -- along these lines -- was far too sweet. Looking forward to trying Doug's version!