Thursday, May 21, 2009

mexican love affair

1/2 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
1 oz Domaine de Canton Ginger Liqueur
1 oz Pierre Ferrand Cognac
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Honey Syrup
1 dash Tabasco Sauce

Shake with ice and strain into a parfait cocktail glass.

On Sunday late afternoon, I went to Drink and showed up at the cusp of the first wave there. I found a seat at the very edge of the center bar and was greeted by Sam Treadway. He was about to make a spicy cocktail for another patron who had come up with this drink a previous time there, so I jumped aboard the shaker order. The drink had a pleasant richness from the honey and brandy. The spice from the ginger and allspice liqueurs appeared on the swallow followed by the heat from the Tabasco. While the chili heat built up over time on my upper lip, the rest of my mouth was fine. Strangely, the heat detected at the back of my throat at the swallow quickly dissipated each time instead of lingering and intensifying. The drink was enjoyable to sip with the heat level not being overwhelming; however, it did leave making the next drink choice a challenge. I ended up opting for waiting it out with my Kingsley Amis' Everyday Drinking and my water glass before moving on to my next beverage selection.

No comments: