Friday, December 11, 2009

wilcoxson

2 oz Rittenhouse Rye
1 oz Gammel Dansk
1 oz Luxardo Amaro Abano
1/2 oz Cinnamon Maple Syrup (* normal recipe is Demerara Simple Syrup)

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass.

On Tuesday night after my networking event downtown, I met Andrea at No. 9 Park for drinks. Bartender Matthew Schrage wanted to make me something off the menu that another bartender at No. 9, Ted Kilpatrick, had developed. The Wilcoxson that he made me was pretty complex. The nose was floral and minty almost like a perfume, and later possessed more of a green kitchen herb quality. As for the taste, it had a solid rye and bitters foundation on the sip followed by a menthol-like sting on the swallow.

Post Note: Ted Kilpatrick wrote me with some clarification, "The drink, named for Mr. and Mrs. Wilcoxson (two lovely and frequent guests of No. 9), actually uses demarara syrup, not cinnamon."

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The drink, named for Mr. and Mrs. Wilcoxson (two lovely and frequent guests of No. 9), actually uses demarara syrup, not cinnamon. I promised the Wilcoxson's I would correct the spelling of their namesake.

frederic said...

Thank you for the history and correction. I kept the ingredients listed as it was made for me with a note that the normal recipe uses demerara simple, and I corrected the spelling. Cheers!