Tuesday, January 19, 2010

inca

1/4 Dry Gin (3/4 oz Berkshire Mountain Distillers' Ethereal)
1/4 Sherry (3/4 oz Lustau Los Arcos Dry Amontillado)
1/4 Sweet Vermouth (3/4 oz Dolin)
1/4 Dry Vermouth (3/4 oz Dolin)
1 dash Orgeat (1 tsp Ferrara Orzata)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Angostura Orange)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
On Saturday night, I was thumbing through Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual and spotted the Inca which appealed for my hankering for sherry. The oldest recipe that I found in my library was in the Savoy Cocktail Book and all but one recipe was the same. The oddball lacked sweet vermouth which is the way the (I believe) oldest written recipe in Robert Vermeire's 1922 Cocktails: How to Mix Them is written. The drink I made started off with an orange and almond nose. On the sip, the orange and sherry notes stood out the most with the gin and vermouth botanicals appearing on the swallow. After a few sips, the vermouth and orgeat flavors became more prominent with the sherry ones subsiding.

No comments: