Wednesday, January 20, 2010

old smugglers awaken

2 oz Bols Gin (Bols Genever)
1 spoon Sugar (1 tsp Simple Syrup)
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 Egg
1 Lemon Peel

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with powdered cinnamon.
On Monday night as we were waiting for my stew to finish cooking, we bided our time with a cocktail. The drink I chose was one that I had previously noted in the 1935 La Florida Cocktail Book from The Florida Bar in Havana, Cuba, called Old Smuggler's [sic] Awaken. Once prepared, the first sensation was the drink's attractive orange color from egg yolk and Angostura bitters. The cinnamon floating on top of the foam, besides providing a potent aroma, complemented the Genever's botanicals flavor-wise . On the sip, the drink was relatively dry with a lot of spice and a hint of lemon oil notes on the swallow. While some of the flavors were tempered by the egg white content, the Old Smugglers Awaken was a good recipe for appreciating the Genever.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

This sounds like an interesting use of Genever. I don't have the Bols in the house ATM, but I've a couple of oudes & a jonge. I think some tasty experiments will be in order.

frederic said...

I could imagine an oude working rather well in it