Wednesday, April 28, 2010

kroni berry flip

1 1/2 oz Old Monk Rum
3/4 oz Crème de Cassis
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1 Egg

Shake one round without ice and one round with. Strain into a cocktail coupe and garnish with five drops of Angostura Bitters.

For Thursday Drink Night on Mixoloseum, the theme was "Dark Rum," but the bottle that called out to me for inspiration was not a rum, but a liqueur -- Crème de Cassis. Something about its dark, rich berry flavor made me think that it would pair up nicely with a dark rum. When I started thinking about what other drinks I have had recently with this liqueur, the Diablo came to mind, and I wondered what a dark rum, Crème de Cassis, and lime combination would taste like. Perhaps influenced by the Farewell Flip from the night before, I decided to go the egg route.
My drink was done but it lacked a name. Trying to come up with something that played off the Diablo's devil name, I searched for Indian devils since I chose Old Monk Rum as my base spirit. Kroni, the primordial manifestation of evil, stood out, and the Kroni Berry Flip it became. The flip had a spicy nose from the Angostura Bitters garnish which was complemented by lime and berry aromas. The sip was full of crisp lime that was balanced by the rich currant and dark rum flavors.

No comments: