Tuesday, February 28, 2012

heart's desire

1/3 Swedish Punsch (1 oz Kronan)
1/3 Bacardi Rum (1 oz Plantation Barbados 5 Year)
1/3 Grapefruit Juice (1 oz Pink)
2 dash Curaçao (1/4 oz Senior Curaçao)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a grapefruit twist to the recipe.
Two Saturdays ago, I spotted another good use for Swedish Punsch in 1700 Cocktails for the Man Behind the Bar from 1934. While I have had Swedish Punch paired with orange, lemon, and lime juice, I had never had it with grapefruit so I was tempted by the Heart's Desire. The recipe also appeared in the United Kingdom Bartenders Guild's Approved Cocktails book where it was attributed to a C.S. Ferrari. The drink began with a funky rum aroma that was accented by fresh grapefruit oils. Next, the pink grapefruit notes bolstered by the Curaçao filled the sip, and the swallow was a pleasing combination of the rum and Swedish Punsch's Batavia Arrack and tea flavors. As the drink warmed up, it became drier and more tannic. Overall, the drink reminded me a bit of a rum-based Bohemian that Josey Packard made me one afternoon at Drink.

No comments: