Wednesday, February 29, 2012

mabel berra

1/2 jigger Sloe Gin (3/4 oz Averell Damson Gin Liqueur)
1/2 jigger Swedish Punsch (3/4 oz Kronan)
Juice 1/2 Lime (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
After the Hot Zombie, I still had some lime juice left over, and I remembered that one of the drinks I noted in Patrick Duffy's The Official Mixer's Manual (1975 edition), the Mabel Berra, called for lime juice. I later checked and the drink also appears in our 1940 reprint of Duffy's 1934 drink book. I made note of the Mabel Berra in the write-up of Citizen-Worcester's Ticket to Paradise for both drinks curiously feature sloe gin and Swedish Punsch. Instead of sloe gin proper, I used the related damson gin which I find to be more pleasing in flavor.
Historically, Mabel Berra was dubbed the "Venus of Vaudeville" for her work in comedic opera during the early part of the 20th century. With 3 octaves of range and a sultry way, she had great success in America and Europe before her untimely demise in 1928. In the drink tribute to her, I noted the Swedish Punsch's rum and Batavia Arrack aromas while Andrea picked up on the fruit notes with a cherry-like aroma. The sip offered lime and tart berry notes that came across almost like strawberry. Finally, the swallow presented Swedish Punsch's complex rum, tea, and spice notes that finished with the damson gin flavor.

No comments: