Monday, May 14, 2012

coda

1 oz Ron Pampero Aniversario Rum (Plantation 5 Year Barbados)
1 oz Neisson Rhum Blanc (JM Rhum Blanc)
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram
1/2 oz Demerara Syrup (Jaggery)
1 Whole Egg

Shake once without ice and once with. Strain into a Fizz glass and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg.
Two Fridays ago for the cocktail hour, I made Daniel Eun's Coda from the PDT Cocktail Book which appeared like a delightful spiced Daiquiri Flip. The Coda's nutmeg garnish contributed a pleasing level of spice that prepared the palate for the drink's swallow. The sip was full of creamy lime and caramel notes, and the swallow began with grassy rum flavors and ended with lingering allspice accents.

1 comment:

Sunny&Rummy said...

I was drawn to this cocktail the first time I saw it in the PDT recipe book, but I need to dial the St. Elizabeth back quite a bit to get it in balance with the rest of the flavors of the drink.

I find I need to do that a lot with the allspice dram. I really like the flavor, but usually I prefer it in barspoon amounts rather than tablespoon amounts.