Thursday, January 24, 2013

wellington

1 jigger Dry Gin (1 1/2 oz Farmer's)
2 dash Swedish Punsch (3/8 oz Kronan)
2 dash Cherry Brandy (3/8 oz Cherry Heering)
Juice 1/2 Lime (1/2 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Green Fairy, I opened up my 1975 The Official Mixer's Manual For Home and Professional Use by Patrick Gavin Duffy and found an interesting Swedish Punsch recipe called the Wellington. The combination of Swedish Punsch and cherry brandy seemed a bit unusual, but I did have it two years ago in an obscure and oddball recipe called the Madam. Finally, I interpreted the two dashes of Punsch and cherry brandy by what I thought would balance the tartness of the lime juice.
patrick gavin duffy
The Wellington offered up the funky aroma of the Swedish Punsch. Next, a lime and cherry sip gave way to a gin, Batavia Arrack, and tea-laden swallow. Overall, the Wellington was a funkier version of the Gilroy or the Golfer's Special.

No comments: