Tuesday, February 19, 2013

streets of san miguel

1 oz Old Overholt Rye
1 oz Bonal Gentiane-Quinquina
1 oz Campari

Stir with ice and strain into a rocks glass. Garnish with an orange twist.

The drink I ordered from John Henderson's half of the menu at the first Whiskey & Amari Night at the Blue Room was the Streets of San Miguel. While the name made me think of Misty Kalkofen's Streets of Gettysburg, it was a reference to the location where that night's movie, "A Fistful of Dollars," was set. In terms of what was in the glass, the drink reminded me of a 1794 with different proportions, no bitters, and Bonal instead of sweet vermouth.
john henderson bartender boston
The Streets of San Miguel's orange twist joined the aroma of the Bonal. A grape sip led into a rye swallow with bitter herbal notes from the Bonal and Campari. Overall, the Bonal seemed to take the edge off of the Campari for it was not as sharply Campari-driven as I expected it to be.

1 comment:

Paul said...

This is one of the best if not the best cocktails I have ever tried and if I only had 3 bottles of liquor my choice would be rye, Campari and Bonal. It's just such a flavorful and with an aftertaste that lingers for a good 15 minuters or so so you can nurture it for a long time. I started this after about 30 minutes into the first half of the Iceland- England game and I think it will last through the 2nd half too. I will have to try The Streets of Gettysburg too but I'm not st all sure it will be this great. You are a cocktail whizz Frederic!