Monday, April 8, 2013

netherlands

2/3 Rye Whiskey (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
1/3 Sweet Vermouth (3/4 oz Cocchi)
1 dash Curaçao (1/4 oz Pierre Ferrand)
1 dash Picon (1/4 oz Ramazzotti)
1 dash Pineapple Juice (1/4 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Brown Trout, I reached for Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933. There, I found the Netherlands, and I was somewhat surprised that it is not a Genever drink but a rye whiskey one roughly based off of a Manhattan. I guess that I should not be too surprised since the book also has the Martinique which is not a rhum cocktail but another rye one with a Manhattan-like base. While we do have both Amer Picon and Torani Amer, I decided to see how this recipe would work with the more available Ramazzotti amaro which packs a similar dark, bitter orange flavor.
rye sweet vermouth bitters
Like a Manhattan, the rye whiskey filled the Netherland's aroma. An orange and grape sip was chased by rye followed by a bitter herbal flavor that was well complemented by the pineapple on the swallow. Over all, it was a bit more fruity-bitter than a Manhattan and just as enjoyable as the Martinique.

No comments: