Saturday, August 31, 2013

new orleans

1/2 Rye (1 1/4 oz Redemption)
1/2 Sweet Vermouth (1 1/4 oz Cocchi) (*)
1 dash Sherry (1/4 oz Lustau Amontillado) (*)
1 dash Maraschino (1/4 oz Luxardo)
1 dash Ojen Bitters (Herbsaint rinse)

Stir with ice and strain into glass. I opted to take the anise element out of the stir and add it in as a rinse akin to a Sazerac.
(*) Perhaps drop the vermouth to 1 oz and up the sherry to 1/2 oz.

After the Oaxacan Fix, I opened up Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 and spotted the New Orleans. With the rye, vermouth, and small amounts of Maraschino and other ingredients, the structure reminded me of a Brooklyn. As I began to interpret the recipe, I figured that I could drop the anise spirit from the stir and give it a New Orleans flair à la the Sazerac by including it in as a rinse.
The Herbsaint rinse donated a light anise note to the aromatics. A grape sip gave way to a rye swallow that was followed by nutty Maraschino and sherry flavors. Finally, the Herbsaint returned on the finish to wrap up this Crescent City-themed Manhattan-Sazerac-Crusta hybrid. My only recipe notes were that the sherry was a bit subtle here and perhaps doubling the quarter ounce I used might improve the complexity of the drink.

No comments: