Friday, September 20, 2013

welcome stranger

1/6 Dry Gin (1/2 oz Martin Miller Westbourne)
1/6 Swedish Punsch (1/2 oz Kronan)
1/6 Brandy (1/2 oz Foret)
1/6 Grenadine (1/2 oz)
1/6 Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1/6 Orange Juice (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Wicked Wahine, I searched for recipes that would use the rest of the lemon juice that I squeezed for that drink. In Patrick Duffy's 1975 edition of The Official Mixer's Manual, I spotted the Welcome Stranger which attracted me with its Swedish Punsch and reminded me of the classic Tanglefoot from Barflies and Cocktails.
The Welcome Stranger's pomegranate aromas brightened the Swedish Punsch's tea and rum notes. Citrus and grenadine on the sip gave way to a curious melon-like swallow and a tannic finish.

No comments: