Monday, February 3, 2014

remembrance

2/3 Gin (1 1/2 oz Darnley's View)
2 dash Orgeat (3/4 oz BG Reynolds)
2 dash Dry Vermouth (3/4 oz Dolin)
1 dash Absinthe (Rinse, Butterfly)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass (I pre-rinsed it with the absinthe).
After the Silver Lining, I opened up Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 and found the Remembrance. While I have had many gin and orgeat drinks, most like the Army & Navy balance the sweetness with lemon juice; here, the recipe utilized dry vermouth in a way that reminded me of an Algonquin. Once mixed, it offered an anise aroma from the absinthe rinse. A creamy, orange, and white wine sip led into a gin, nutty, and anise-laced swallow. Perhaps with a very light hand with the orgeat and dry vermouth, it would have been reminiscent of a gin-based Japanese.

1 comment:

LBBTP said...

I made this with small hand foods orgeat and it was a little too sweet for me! I might decrease to 1/2 or something like that.