Wednesday, April 1, 2015

the upset

1 1/2 oz Pisco
1/2 oz Oloroso Sherry (Lustau)
1/2 oz Honey Syrup (1:1) (*)
1/2 oz Lemon Juice (*)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. Garnish with freshly grated nutmeg (I subbed a lemon twist) (*).
(*) Adapted from the original which was 3/4 oz lemon juice, 1/2 oz 2:1 honey syrup. Also, it called for a nutmeg garnish that I did not spot when assembling the drink. Very similar to his Prospector at Kask.
After the Youngs, I wanted to use the remainder of the freshly squeezed lemon juice, so I turned to a recipe that I had spotted on the ShakeStir site called the Upset. The Upset was crafted by Tommy Klus whom I last met at Kask in Portland, OR, and this was his submission to the website's Final Four basketball-themed drink competition. Once shaken and strained, the Upset shocked the nose with lemon, floral, and nutty aromas. Next, the sip shared honey and lemon flavors with hints of grape, and the swallow ended things off with earthy floral notes on the buzzer beater.

No comments: