Friday, August 14, 2015

bamboo punch

1 oz Trader Vic Light Puerto Rican Rum (Caliche)
1 1/4 oz Trader Vic Mai Tai Rum (1 oz Appleton V/X, 1/4 oz Wray & Nephew)
Juice of 1 Lime (1/2 oz)
2 dash Peychaud's Bitters
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Nectar (1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup)
1 dash Rock Candy Syrup (none, as included in PF Syrup above)

Blend with 1/2 scoop of ice (shake with ice and strain). Serve in a Bamboo Cup filled with ice to fill. Decorate with mint and a fruit stick.
Two Saturdays ago, I turned to Trader Vic's Rum Cookery and Drinkery from 1974 and spotted the Bamboo Punch. The combination of lime, passion fruit, and bitters reminded me of the gin-based Tanglin Club, so I was willing to give this one a try. Well, after I adapted the passion fruit nectar and rock candy syrup to passion fruit syrup and interpreted the Trader Vic packaged rums to ingredients found on my shelves. Once built, the garnishes I added to the Bamboo Punch donated a peppery and mint spice aroma. On the palate, lime and passion fruit on the sip gave way to funky rums on the swallow with a dry anise finish.

No comments: