Saturday, August 29, 2015

key largo

1 oz Turkey Shore Tavern Style Rum
1 oz Lustau Brandy
1/2 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Passion Fruit Syrup
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1 dash Angostura Bitters
1 dash St. George Absinthe

Shake with crushed ice for 5 seconds and dump into a tulip (or tall) glass. Top with crushed ice, garnish with a mint sprig and a grapefruit twist, and add a straw.
Another drink idea I had for Loyal Nine's Yacht Rock Sundays two weeks ago was inspired by the Jet Pilot that I had at Tales of the Cocktail a few weeks before. First, I wanted to make it more punch-like so I split the rum base with brandy. To compliment the brandy better, I switched the lime to lemon juice. And finally, I took a more fruity instead of spice direction by subbing passion fruit syrup for the classic's falernum. For a name, I found the song title "Key Largo" on the playlist and figured that the area was rife with Tiki-inspired bars despite the song being very much non-Polynesian in feel.

No comments: