Sunday, August 16, 2015

no birds to fly

1 1/2 oz Pimm's No. 1
1/2 oz Zucca Rabarbaro Amaro
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a Collins glass with 2 oz soda water. Top with ice, garnish with a lemon twist, and add a straw.
For Loyal Nine's The Walrus and The Carpenter event's cocktail menu, I wanted to do a riff on a Pimm's Cup and figured that I could substitute an herbal liqueur for the cucumber or borage element that makes the drink sing. While I have never had Pimm's No. 1 and Zucca together, I knew that Zucca paired with strawberry notes (which also appear in Pimm's) as well as lemon juice in the King Vittorio's Cobbler. For a drink name, I selected from the narrative poem No Birds to Fly which seemed just surreal enough out of context to work; it does not hurt that there is a Lewis Carroll-inspired song by the Virgin Prunes with that name either.

No comments: