Friday, September 25, 2015

creole

2/3 Jamaican Rum (1 1/4 oz Coruba, 1/4 oz Wray & Nephew)
2 dash Maraschino Liqueur (1/2 oz Maraska)
2 dash Sherry (1/2 oz Lustau East India Solera)
2 dash Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1/2 tsp Anisette (1 bsp Herbsaint)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After the Orientation, I wanted to make another drink using the remaining lemon juice, so I turned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 for ideas. There, I spotted the Creole again, but I have passed it over since there is a better known Creole that is a delicious Benedictine and Picon Manhattan variation (the link has an Amer Picon-less substitution). However, I am a sucker for Jamaican rum, sherry, and light touches of anise flavors, so I final gave in and made this other, more obscure Creole.
In the glass, the Creole gave forth rum funk and anise aromas. Next, lemon, caramel, and grape on the sip transitioned into funky rum and nutty Maraschino on the swallow with an anise spice finish.

2 comments:

Dagreb said...

The Sultans play Creole...

Unknown said...

I made this for my wife and she felt it was a bit strong and could use a splash of pineapple juice. I loved it.