Wednesday, September 30, 2015

everybody wants to rule the world

3/4 oz Chinaco Blanco Tequila
3/4 oz Morin Selection Calvados
1/2 oz Kronan Swedish Punsch
1/2 oz Cinnamon Syrup
1/2 oz Lime Juice

Build in a Collins glass, fill with crushed ice, and swizzle to mix and chill. Top with crushed ice, garnish with an orange twist and freshly grated nutmeg, and add a straw.
For Yacht Rock Sunday's menu two weekends ago, I wanted to put a less summery and more autumnal Swizzle on the menu. I had been holding back on using apple brandy until the weather started to get colder, and I figured that it was about time to think again about Calvados. For the spice element in the Swizzle, I looked to Swedish Punsch and thought about how well it worked with apple brandy in the Cason and Murderer's Cocktails. Moreover, I considered how well tequila pairs both with Swedish Punsch in the Chutes and Ladders and with apple brandy in the Broken Crown, so I decided to split the spirits. To bolster the spice, I added cinnamon syrup which pairs well with both apple and agave flavors, and to counter the sweetness, a bit of lime juice. The combination felt a bit regal to me (or it wanted to feel regal), so I decided to pick out of the song title roster Tears for Fears' Everybody Wants to Rule the World.

No comments: