Thursday, September 10, 2015

potted parrot

2 oz Light Puerto Rican Rum (DonQ Cristal)
1/2 oz Curaçao (Van der Hum)
1/4 oz Orgeat (1/2 oz Orzata)
1/4 oz Rock Candy Syrup (omitted)
1 oz Lemon Juice
2 oz Orange Juice (1 1/2 oz)

Shake with a half scoop of shaved ice and pour into a Pilsner glass. Garnish with mint and serve with straws.
After Yacht Rock Sunday, I wanted to make a Tiki drink for myself. For ideas, I turned to Trader Vic's 1974 Rum Cookery & Drinkery and spotted the Potted Parrot which looked a lot like a Mai Tai with lemon and orange instead of lime juice. Once prepared, it offered mint and floral aromas. A crisp lemon and orange sip led into a rum, orange, and almond swallow.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I've seen Van der Hum in a few things. Do you know where you can get it in the Boston area? I've found it in central Jersey before, but that bottle is now gone.

frederic said...

I got my bottle at Julio's in Southboro, MA, a few years ago after seeing a bunch of recipes in the Café Royal Cocktail Book. Haven't seen it anywhere else (and I haven't been back to Julio's since the local stores have upped their game).

Dagreb said...

Ohh, orzata? Nice!