Thursday, November 19, 2015

the grand bargain

1 1/2 oz Laird's 12 Year Apple Brandy (Boulard VSOP Calvados)
3/4 oz Del Maguey Santo Domingo Mezcal (Montelobos)
1/2 oz Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
2 dash Angostura Bitters
2 dash Regan's Orange Bitters

Build in an old fashioned glass, add a large ice cub, and stir to mix and chill. Garnish with both orange and lemon twists.
Two Saturdays ago after my work shift, I was in the mood for a nightcap, so I turned to Robert Simonson's The Old Fashioned for something stirred. The one that reached out to me that night was Tom Macy's drink that he created at the Clover Club in Brooklyn circa 2013. The Grand Bargain was in part a commentary on the cost of the top shelf ingredients. While I could not match the apple and agave distillates exactly, I did not exactly skimp either. Indeed, I was drawn to the recipe as it reminded me of the Fancy Free cocktail with a split spirits base; moreover, apple and agave go rather well together such as in the Downtown at Dawn. In the glass, the Grand Bargain shared a smoky aroma that was brightened by the citrus oil. Next, a sweet sip with hints of fruit led into a smoky mezcal and nutty cherry swallow with an apple finish.

No comments: