Wednesday, December 30, 2015

oo-la-la

1/2 jigger Gin (1 1/2 oz Bluecoat)
1 spoon Orange (1/2 oz Orange Juice)
2 spoon Sweet-Sour (1/2 oz Lemon Juice)
1 dash Almond Extract (1/2 oz Orgeat)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist.
Two Thursdays ago, I reached for Boothby's 1934 World Drinks and How to Mix Them and uncovered the Oo-la-la. I knew that the drink had some promise if I could class it up a touch by converting the sweet-sour and almond extract into fresh citrus juice and homemade orgeat. I ended up choosing lemon juice for it is more common of a flavor in sweet-sour mix, and this 1934 combination of orange, lemon, and orgeat later resurfaced at the core of Tiki drinks like the Fog Cutter and the Sleeping Giant. In the glass, the Oo-la-la offered an orange oil and fresh lemon aroma. Next, a creamy lemon sip led into gin and nutty flavors on the swallow with an orange finish.

No comments: