Saturday, February 13, 2016

asbury

2/3 Plymouth Gin (2 oz Beefeater)
1 dash Sweet Vermouth (1/2 oz Punt e Mes)
2 dash Orange Juice (1/2 oz)
1 dash Ojen Bitter (1/8 oz Butterfly Absinthe)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added an orange twist.

After the Millionaire No. 1, I kept things old school and began to thumb through Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 where I found the Asbury. This one had little to do with the Asbury I had at Tales of the Cocktail but reminded me more of a Maurice (a Bronx with a dash of absinthe) and perhaps a Monkey Gland. I utilized the same proportions as in the brandy-based Prestoman except that I took a bitter direction with Punt e Mes as the vermouth. Moreover, I kept the stir directions even though my dash volume interpretation was a bit large on the juice component (1/4 oz per dash).
The Asbury had a bright aroma from the orange twist oils and the absinthe's anise. A smooth orange and grape sip led into gin notes, Punt e Mes' bitter complexity, and the absinthe's herbal flavors on the swallow.

No comments: