Sunday, April 24, 2016

jamestown

2/3 Rye (1 1/2 oz Old Overholt)
Dash Dubonnet (1 oz Bonal)
1/3 Fernet Branca (1/4 oz)
Dash Picon Bitters (1/4 oz Torani Amer)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
I turned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 a few Wednesdays ago, and I spotted the Jamestown. The combination of spirit, Dubonnet, Fernet, and orange liqueur here reminded me of the better known classic from that era the Don't Give Up The Ship. Since I currently do not have a bottle of Dubonnet, I opted for another quinquina, namely Bonal which worked very well with Fernet Branca in a Hanky Panky variation at Drink. In addition, I upped the quinquina amount to be closer to a Hanky Panky in structure. Once stirred and strained, the Jamestown shared a rye aroma with hints of Fernet Branca's menthol. On the sip, grape, malt, and hints of caramel switched into rye with gentian, orange, herbal, quinine, and menthol notes on the swallow.

No comments: