Sunday, June 26, 2016

lion of baltimore

2 oz Appleton Reserve Rum (Appleton V/X)
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Bonal)
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Orgeat
2 dash Dale Degroff Pimento Bitters (1/4 oz St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.

After my shift on two Sundays ago, I finished off my week with a recipe from the third book I purchased, namely Philip Greene's The Manhattan. My starting point in the book was the author's Lion's Tail riff named after a War of 1812 ship. This riff like the Hair of the Lion and A Tale of Two Kitties picked rum as the base spirit which seems like a better choice than Bourbon given the lime juice.
The Lion of Baltimore shared a caramel rum and allspice aroma. Next, grape, caramel, and lime on the sip slid into rum, earthy, and allspice on the swallow.

1 comment:

Phil Greene said...

Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for posting about it!