Saturday, June 18, 2016

shylock

2/3 Brandy (1 1/2 oz Camus VS Cognac)
1 dash Swedish Punsch (1/2 oz Kronan) (*)
1 dash French Vermouth (1/2 oz Noilly Prat Dry)
1 dash Crème de Cacao (1/4 oz Tempus Fugit)
1 dash Picon Bitters (1/4 oz Torani Amer)

Stir with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
(*) Note: the republished book listed it as "Swedish vermouth." Since all vermouths are described in the book as either Italian or French, I assumed that this was a mistake and it meant to say Swedish Punsch. Or my curiosity demanded that it say that.

Two Saturdays ago, I turned to Pioneers of Mixing at Elite Bars: 1903-1933 and found myself back on the page with the Shylock. I had always hesitated in making this drink for one of the ingredients read "Swedish vermouth." I never knew what exactly that meant, but I assumed it was a mis-transcription from either sweet vermouth or Swedish punsch. Since the book refers to the red vermouth as Italian, I finally pulled the trigger and made the drink with Swedish punsch; this is not too out of line with other drinks in that tome such as the similarly constructed Rocket. Unlike the Rocket, the Shylock partnered Swedish punsch with crème de cacao which worked well in the Battle Over Dutch. Even if I were making a mistake in interpreting the ingredients (or what a dash ought to mean), it would hopefully be a rather tasty mistake.
The Shylock's nose was full of brandy and chocolate notes. Next, a rich and somewhat dark sip led into Cognac, chocolate, and tea tannins on the swallow with a bitter orange finish.

No comments: