Tuesday, July 26, 2016

la louche

1 1/2 oz Hendrick's Gin
1 oz Lillet Rouge (Bonal)
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
1/4 oz Simple Syrup

Shake with ice and strain into a coupe glass.

Two Tuesdays ago, I began to flip through the PDT Cocktail Book for any passed over gems. The recipe that called out to me was Charlotte Voisey's La Louche that she created in 2007. While louche means "questionable, mischevious behaviour," I almost expected this drink to contain absinthe or pastis to get at the cocktail version of the word. Instead, the herbal elements were gin, Yellow Chartreuse, and a quinine-laden wine. Since I lacked both Lillet Rouge and what it was modeled after, namely Dubonnet, I opted for the Bonal that I have in my fridge (Bonal is technically a fortified grape must -- read about it here in the history of quinine beverages).
La Louche began with floral and lime notes presented to the nose. The lime continued on into the sip where it mingled with the Bonal's grape, and the swallow gave forth gin, rose, herbal, and bitter flavors with a quinine finish.

No comments: