Saturday, September 10, 2016

banana hammock

1 1/2 oz Plantation Overproof Rum (2 oz Plantation Traditional Dark)
1 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Banana Liqueur (Giffard Banane du Bresil)
1/2 oz Orgeat

Shake with ice, strain into a double Old Fashioned glass (Tiki mug), fill with crushed ice, and float 1/2 oz overproof Jamaican rum (Smith & Cross). Garnish with a mint sprig, lime wedge, and nutmeg.

After my shift two Saturdays ago, I turned to the Pierre Ferrand New York City Cocktail Book for drink ideas. There, I spotted the Banana Hammock by Dan Greenbaum of Attaboy circa 2014. I was drawn to the recipe for it reminded me of a banana-for-orange liqueur Mai Tai similar to the Island Hop and Orana Maria, and it definitely fit my Tiki mood.
The Banana Hammock shared a woody spice, mint, lime, and overproof rum aroma that came across in a cologne sort of way akin to the Rude Boy. Next, the lime paired well with the rum's caramel on the sip, and the swallow offered more rum flavors along with nutty and banana ones.

1 comment:

Tri2Cook said...

"The Banana Hammock shared a woody spice." Don't know how I missed that when it was posted but that is gold!