Sunday, September 4, 2016

los batman

1 1/2 oz Blanco Tequila (Espolon)
1/2 oz Batavia Arrack
1/2 oz Cynar
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Agave Nectar

Shake with ice, strain into a Nick & Nora cocktail glass, and garnish with a lime wheel-cherry flag.
Two Sundays ago after my shift, I decided to make a drink from Town & Country's 17 Cocktail Recipes that Logic Says Shouldn't Work (But Do) article called Los Batman. The recipe was created by Blake Pope of Kindred in Davidson, North Carolina, as a Tequila Sour made funky with Cynar and Batavia Arrack. As I reached for the bottle of tequila on the top shelf, I disturbed a summertime visitor of a little brown bat who then took a few laps around my kitchen before returning to roost in my bottles. Building my nightcap took a pause as I donned winter gloves and was able to capture the bat and safely deposit him outdoors. So in honor of the wee bat that I told "You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here," I finished preparing the Los Batman and toasted him.
The Los Batman offered the agave's vegetal notes to the nose along with the lime garnish aroma. The lime continued on into the rich sip, and the swallow was a combination of tequila, funkiness from the Batavia Arrack, and vegetal bitterness from the Cynar.

No comments: