Sunday, October 30, 2016

kick in the pants

1/3 Brandy (1 oz Camus VS Cognac)
1/3 Bourbon (1 oz Old Granddad Bonded)
1/3 Lemon Juice (1/2 oz)
1 dash Cointreau (1/2 oz)

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass. I added a lemon twist.

After my shift two Sundays ago, I ventured into my 1962 edition of Ted Saucier's 1954 Bottoms Up book. There, I spotted a Between the Sheets or Deauville Cocktail looking number that paired Bourbon with the brandy instead of rum or Calvados, respectively. The recipe came to Saucier by way of the Olmsted's restaurant in Washington, D.C.; it was created by Bert Olmsted in 1913 at a San Francisco restaurateurs' meeting and was put on the menu shortly after that.
The Kick in the Pants shared lemon notes along with brandy at first then later Bourbon aromas to the nose. Next, the lemon juice and orange liqueur mingled in the sip, and the swallow gave forth whiskey and Cognac notes with a tart citrus finish. Overall, it was sharper than a Sidecar with the same basic structure, and the inclusion of whiskey reminded me of the Fedora (which also has Jamaican rum as well).

No comments: