Thursday, December 15, 2016

averna diamond fizz

2 oz Averna
1/2 oz Demerara Syrup
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1 dash Bittermens Molé Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a white wine glass containing 2 oz Bohigas Cava, and garnish with a lemon twist.
Two Thursdays ago for the drink of the day, I decided to do my recent amaro riff on the French 75. The drink was created for one of my regulars who alternated between ordering our cava and drinking Averna. When I proposed one night after plotting out the recipe that I could put together everything he loved into one glass, he asked if that was a cocktail before declaring that there was too much going on. It just was not his style. Instead, I served it to another regular a month or two later to fulfill one of his drink requests, and his outward enjoyment of it sold the next one to someone in his group. And last night, I served it as our drink of the day at Loyal Nine where the reception was quite positive with all of the rich caramel, chocolate, and light herbal notes over a dry and crisp backbone. For a name, I was considering the Averna 75, but my coworkers thought the Averna Diamond Fizz sounded more elegant.

No comments: