Tuesday, May 2, 2017

100 year old cigar

1 3/4 oz Zacapa 23 Rum (Plantation Dark)
1/2 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Benedictine
1/4 oz Laphroaig 10 Year Scotch
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir with ice and strain into an absinthe-rinsed (Pernod) coupe glass.
Two Mondays ago, I turned to a recipe that I had spotted in a SeriousEats article that had recipes from the Brookyln Bartender book. The one that called out to me was Maks Pazuniak's 100 Year Old Cigar that he created at Jupiter Disco. Once prepared, it offered an anise aroma from the absinthe rinse that later gave way to smoke and Cynar's herbal notes. Next, the sip was rather caramel from the Cynar and aged rum, and the swallow shared rum, peaty smoke, and funky herbal flavors.

3 comments:

jensck said...

This is one of my favorite drinks of all time, and I spent a fair amount of time trying to find the perfect proportions for it. These are my notes on it: https://goo.gl/m6OJT3

Carol said...

Jensck, your link is no longer working. If you still have the notes, I'd love to see them. :-)

Carol said...

I went with El Dorado 12-year and Laphroaig. Very sophisticated sipper with a touch of spice. The smokiness of the scotch is tamed and enveloped by the rum, and the Cynar gives it a nice bracing edge. Neither too smokey nor too sweet as I've seen in some web reviews. My husband says the name is spot on. Think fireside.