Monday, May 22, 2017

velveteen

2 oz Russell's Rye (Old Overholt)
3/4 oz Green Chartreuse
3/4 oz Velvet Falernum
1/2 oz Lemon Juice

Shake with ice, strain into a cordial glass, and garnish with 4 drops Peychaud's Bitters.
After the Bar Institute event, I was in the mood for a nightcap when I got home. In my recent acquisitions pile, I turned to Clair McLafferty's The Classic & Craft Cocktail Recipe Book. There, I honed in on the Velveteen by Gregory Fellows of Annisa in New York City. In the glass, the Velveteen's bitters garnish offered up an anise bouquet that was joined by hints of Chartreuse's herbal aromas poking through. Next, malt and lemon on the sip transitioned into rye, herbal, ginger, and clove flavors on the swallow. Overall, it felt like a rye Swizzle akin to the Telenovela in spirit sans the crushed ice of course.

No comments: