Monday, June 19, 2017

prince royal

1 1/2 oz Four Roses Bourbon
1/2 oz Meletti Amaro
1/2 oz Averna
1/2 oz Aperol

Stir with ice, strain into a rocks glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Mondays ago, I made a nightcap pit stop at the Automatic on my way home from the Bombay Sapphire Most Imaginative Bartender event. There, I asked bartender Anthony Mottla for the Prince Royal that he credited Dave Cagle as the creator. Indeed, the combination of whiskey and a trio of herbal liqueurs made me think of the Valkyrie, so I was curious to try this one out.
The Prince Royal began with orange oils over an orange-rhubarb aroma from the Aperol. Next, the malty and caramel sip shared a citrussy hint, and the swallow offered Bourbon, herbal, and violet-floral flavors. Overall, the Prince Royal was a touch sweet so perhaps a punchier and higher proof whiskey than Four Roses Yellow Label might help to dry out the balance here.

No comments: