Thursday, August 10, 2017

rougarou daiquiri

1 3/4 oz Barbancourt 8 Year Rum
3/4 oz Cynar
1/2 oz Lime Juice
1 bsp St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram

Shake with ice and strain into a cocktail glass.
During Tales of the Cocktail, I met a New Orleans local who told me about his childhood fears of the Rougarou, a werewolf that roams the Bayou and snatches up little kids. The term is believed to have stemmed from the French word loup-garou, and the spelling and pronunciation change was probably through the Cajuns in that region. So for the drink of the day two Thursdays ago at Loyal Nine, I tried to capture the funk of the swamp and the swamp monster itself in a glass, and I came up with a Daiquiri variation inspired in part by the Navy Dock Daiquiri and the Frequent Flier. I was originally going to go with the Smith & Cross Rum in the Navy Dock Daiquiri, but instead I opted for the slightly funky Barbancourt 8 Year Rhum especially given the Haitian connection to mysticism.

No comments: