Saturday, January 27, 2018

deathstalker

1 1/2 oz Orange Juice
1 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Orgeat
1 oz Campari
1 oz Aged Rum (Don Q Añejo)
1/2 oz Funky Jamaican Rum (Rum Fire)
1 pinch Salt

Dissolve the salt in the juices, add the rest, shake with ice, strain into a Tiki bowl, and fill with crushed ice. Garnish in Tiki style such as mint or edible flowers if in season, and a bit of fire would not be out of place here.

After a long Saturday night shift two weeks ago, I began to revisit my earlier in the day thoughts on how to tinker with the Scorpion Bowl. When I focused on the orgeat, I considered how well it worked in the past with Campari such as in the Bitter Maita'i, Pinwheel Swizzle, and other drinks. Since I did not want this bowl to be overly bitter and stray too far from the concept of punch being a well-balanced drink, I added a pinch of salt to the mix to mellow the Campari like was done in the Camparipolitan, Fearless, and others. And finally, I decided not to go all Campari but to keep some the classic Scorpion Bowl's rum element to provide a backbone and a hint of funk to the mix.
For a name, I dubbed this one after the Deathstalker Scorpion, although with a bowl named the Deathstalker, I was wondering if I should have swapped the rum for Fernet Branca and went Ferrari in style. Once prepared, the Deathstalker gave forth an orange, nutty, and tropical nose in an almost mango-like way. Next, rich orange with lemon accents on the sip transitioned into rum, nutty, and orange flavors on the swallow with a tangy finish containing a hint of bitterness.

No comments: