Thursday, January 11, 2018

haitian fight sour

1 1/2 oz Aged Rum (Barbancourt 8 Year)
1/2 oz Benedictine
3/4 oz Lime Juice
1/2 oz Simple Syrup
2 dash Angostura Bitters

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lime wheel.

After I got home from my bar shift two Thursdays ago, I reached for Greg Boehm and Jeff Mason's 2009 The Big Bartender's Book for a nightcap. The recipe that caught my attention was the Haitian Fight Sour crafted by Jim Meehan that appeared in neither of his two books; in fact, my posting about it on Instagram surprised Jim with this "blast from the past." Jim's recipe reminded me of the Haitian drink the Petion that inspired Matt Schrage and I to create the Soekarno and Petition, respectively.
The Haitian Fight Sour greeted the nose with a lime, rum, and clove bouquet in a perfume-y sort of way. Next, lime juice with a certain depth of richness from the Benedictine and simple syrup on the sip transitioned into rum followed by bright herbal flavors on the swallow that closed out with darker spice accents.

No comments: