Sunday, January 28, 2018

norwegian negroni

1 1/2 oz Aquavit (Aalborg)
1 oz Sweet Vermouth (Maurin)
3/4 oz Cynar

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with an orange (grapefruit) twist.
After returning home from my shift, there was time for a nightcap to share with Andrea. Therefore, I reached into the shelves where I pulled out the 2010 The Cocktail Collective Book where I spotted the Norwegian Negroni from Kevin Ludwig of Portland, Oregon, that reminded me of Robert Hess' 2002 Trident. Perhaps it was this similarity that gave me pause to make it over the years; however, it seemed like the perfect way to round out the week. Once prepared, the grapefruit oil from my twist substitution joined floral and caraway notes on the nose. Next, sweet grape and hints of caramel on the sip led into caraway spice melding into funky bitter-herbal on the swallow. While not a Negroni for it lacked any strong citrus element, it was not out of the realm of how a Negroni can come across.

No comments: