Friday, April 27, 2018

worthy adversary

1/4 oz Grenadine
1/4 oz Lemon Juice
3/4 oz Orange Juice
3/4 oz Cocchi Americano
1/2 oz Elijah Craig Bourbon (Fighting Cock 103)
3/4 oz La Favorite Rhum Agricole (Clement Premiere Canne)
3 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Shake with ice, strain into a Pilsner glass (Tiki mug), fill with crushed ice, and garnish with an orange slice, mint sprig (omit), and curry powder (Madras curry).

Two Saturdays ago, there was a thread on the BG Reynold's Facebook group with someone inquiring about split spirits Bourbon and rum Tiki drinks. While I chimed in with my Fiji Mermaid, Arthur Boothe chimed in with his Worthy Adversary that he crafted at Bitters & Brass in Sanford, Florida. I met Arthur on an USBG-sponsored trip to the Patron distillery in 2016, and I was curious to taste what his drink making palate was like. Therefore, I replied on my walk home from work that I might make it that night.
Surprisingly, the orange slice and curry aroma overtook that of the grassy rhum funk that was rather evident while straining the drink. Next, orange, lemon, and berry notes filled the sip, and the swallow showcased the grassy rhum funk meeting the whiskey with a berry-orange finish. It was interesting to see that both Arthur's and my drinks utilized lemon over lime juice and opted for grenadine as one of the sweeteners in our rum-Bourbon concoctions. With the Worthy Adversary's orange juice, the combination also reminded me a little of the Boston classic, the Ward Eight.

No comments: