Tuesday, May 29, 2018

brazilian vesper

1 oz Cachaça (Seleta Gold)
1 oz Vodka (Bar Hill)
1 oz Lillet Blanc (Cocchi Americano)
1 bsp Passion Fruit Syrup

Stir with ice, strain into a cocktail glass, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Tuesdays ago, I was lured in by a cachaça recipe posted by Imbibe Magazine, namely the Brazilian Vesper by Jacyara de Oliveira of Chicago's El Che. I had previously written a rant about the Vesper for a Mixology Monday event about how I did not understand the drink and why one would slightly want to diminish the flavor of gin by 25% with neutral spirits. In addition, I have only had one person ever request gin and Lillet Blanc before (previously, I had said no one, but one of the servers at Our Fathers preferred her Martinis that way as she tasted through the gins). Here, instead of a 3:1 of flavorful spirit to vodka, the mix is equal parts and this could help to mitigate cachaça's grassy funk (although I love it especially in Seleta and other better brands). For a vodka, I opted for the brand I used in the classic Vesper post -- a fuller one made from honey by Caledonia Spirits so that it would not be perfectly neutral. And my complaint about the Lillet taking up one-ninth of the pre-melt build volume in the classic was solved by putting it in equal parts footing with the cachaça and vodka; moreover, the fruit element was bolstered by a dash of passion fruit syrup here.
The Brazilian Vesper's lemon twist garnish offered up citrus aromas to accent the Brazilian spirit's grassy funk and complement the Cocchi Americano and passion fruit to follow. Next, a peachy citrus sip led into a delightful medley of cachaça, honey, passion fruit, orange, and lemon flavors on the swallow.

No comments: