Thursday, September 13, 2018

flight deck

1 oz Monkey 47 Gin (Martin Miller Westbourne)
1 oz Becherovka
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
1/4 oz Maraschino Liqueur (Luxardo)
2 dash 18.21 Ginger-Lemon Tincture (Berg & Hauck's Lemon Bitters)

Shake with ice, strain into a cocktail coupe, and garnish with a lemon twist.

Two Thursdays ago, I was excited to make a recipe from Sother Teague's new book, I'm Just Here for the Drinks. The one I selected from the half of the book that I had read was an Aviation riff called the Flight Deck that lacked the blue color and floral notes from the crème de violette version. Instead, it took things on a more spiced route by splitting the gin with Becherovka, and this reminded me of Eastern Standard's recipes like the Metamorphosis and Kysely where they subbed all of the base spirit for this Czech liqueur.
Once I had prepared Sother's riff, it offered up pine, cinnamon, and lemon aromas to the nose. Next, lemon with a hint of cherry on the sip transitioned to juniper, nutty Maraschino, cinnamon, and ginger flavors on the swallow with a clove finish.

No comments: