Friday, March 29, 2019

submarine cocktail

1/4 French Vermouth (1 oz Noilly Prat)
1/4 El Bart Gin (1 oz Junipero)
1/2 Dubonnet Rouge (2 oz)

Stir with ice and strain into a glass.

Two Fridays ago, I sought out Hugo Ensslin's 1916 Recipes for Mixed Drinks for something light to end my rather late evening; perhaps I was drawn to that tome for its collection of Dubonnet recipes that could utilize my purchase of the new reformulation of that quinquina. The one I selected was the Submarine Cocktail; I later realized that I had previously made the Submarine with different proportions and bitters on my Boker's Bitters post back in 2008. That gin-forward recipe was from CocktailDB which seemed to have acquired it from Stan Jones' 1977 Complete Barguide; Jones must have sourced it from something earlier due to the inclusion of Boker's Bitters. Ensslin's recipe correlates with the uptick in submarine activity during World War I, so it could perhaps be one of the earliest recipes if not the first for the Submarine Cocktail.
The Submarine Cocktail delighted the nose with a strawberry and cherry bouquet from the new Dubonnet. Next, grape on the sip sunk into cherry and grape flavors on the swallow with a chocolate and juniper finish.

No comments: