Tuesday, May 7, 2019

naked lunch

3/4 oz Sombra Mezcal
3/4 oz Yellow Chartreuse
3/4 oz Lillet Blanc
3/4 oz Grapefruit Juice
1/2 oz Lemon Juice
2 dash Bittermens Tiki Bitters

Whip shake, pour into a Collins glass, fill with crushed ice, and garnish with a grapefruit twist.

Two Tuesdays ago, I stopped into Brick & Mortar and found a seat in front of bartender Max Bulger. For a first drink, I asked for the Naked Lunch that Max described as Juan Mederos' cross between a Naked & Famous and a Corpse Reviver #2. When I explained that I was a big William S. Burroughs fan, Max said that it was not named after the novel or the movie but the band since the menu was mostly music references. I have to assume that the group in question was the more recent Austrian alternative rock band and not the late 70s British synth pop one, although both have played out within the last few years.
The Naked Lunch spoke to me like a transformed typewriter with grapefruit and smoke aromas. Next, grapefruit, lemon, and a light fruity honey note on the sip cut up into a smoky agave and herbal swallow.

No comments: