Saturday, May 4, 2019

that's that

1 1/2 oz Gin (Tanqueray)
1 oz Bianco Vermouth (Dolin Blanc)
1/2 oz Fino Sherry (Lustau)
1 dash Orange Bitters (Regan's)

Stir with ice, strain into a Nick & Nora (cocktail coupe) glass, and garnish with an orange twist.

Two Saturdays ago, I was in a Martini mood and remembered that I had bookmarked a riff from Imbibe Magazine. That cocktail was the That's That crafted by Paul McGee at the Cherry Circle Room in Chicago. Paul was inspired by a 1930s bottle of dry vermouth that he acquired for the Milk Room's vintage spirits collection, and he was able to replicate the flavors with blanc vermouth countered by fino sherry. The final recipe reminded me of a nameless 50:50 Martini riff that I used to make for a regular that was 2 parts Plymouth Gin, 1 part L.N. Mattei Blanc Quinquina, 1 part Fino sherry, 2 dash orange bitters, and either an orange or lemon twist.
The That's That welcomed the senses with an orange, floral, and juniper bouquet. Next, a semi-sweet white grape sip gave way to juniper, orange, and hint of nutty flavors on the crisp swallow.

1 comment:

John Hsu said...

That 50/50 Martini sounds familiar to me!! It was such a marvel that I immediately tracked down the Quinquina so I could re-create the experience.